From:
Jackson Jarl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:29:53 -0800
Actually, I find Ledgin's evidence wanting, aside from
the natural point you raise about the time factor. He
apparently utilized various biographies of Jefferson,
which, besides being secondary sources, are not woeks
necessarily written to draw the same conclusions from
since all biographers paint their own portrait of the
subject.

Also, despite referring to various diagnostic scales
and the like, Ledgin seems to implicitly lean heavily
on a comparison with his own son, a young adult with
Asperger Syndrome.

He ties in reports of Jefferson greeting guests in his
slippers as an expression of Jefferson's Asperger-like
need wear comfortable clothing regardless of the
appropriateness, as well as of his not appreciating
implicit social rules. Also, a reported discomfort and
awkwardness with public speaking. His very
'renaissance man' character, with the various,
wide-ranging interests is chalked up to an Aspie-like
tendency to focus on a particular subject to the
exclusion of all else, before moving on to another.
Even his indebtedness is marked as a sign of not
comprehending the concept of money or the meaning of
numbers, if I recall rightly.

In summary, all could be explained otherwise, if even
true.

Ledgin does try to suggest a family tendency toward
autism or autistic-like traits in the related Randolph
family, pointing to such notable "eccentrics" as John
Randolph of Roanoke. Actually, other than knowing that
Jefferson's mother was a Randolph, and that a daughter
or two married (back) into that family, I do not know
how the two men were related exactly.

I am aware that inbreeding was at least one thing
blamed for the particualar traits credited to the
Randolphs, although I understand not all of them were
necessarily affected. How much is legend and hearsay
and how much is fact beyond John Randolph of Roanoke
(or even there)I am not sure.

Mr. Ledgin's stated purpose of increasing awareness
and understanding of autism spectrum disorders is
admirable, but whether his approach is appropriate,
even if the basic hypothesis were true,which cannot be
confirmed one way or the other. Personally, I think it
bad history, and an unfortunate form of advocacy.