From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:14:27 -0500
Anne,

    I'm just back from doing laundry at the Laundromat, which meant sloshing
through lots of snow.  I am out of breath but warm again.  I see that the
discussion is still lively.
    The question of Native American slavery is very complicated because
there were so many independent American Indian polities.  Probably the best
general survey of slavery worldwide is Orlando Patterson, Slavery and Social
Death.  Patterson does note differences between slavery as practiced by
Cherokees in the Southeast as compared to Euro-American enslavement.  For
one thing, as I remember it, slaves could be integrated into Cherokee (and
other Native American) societies as free men and even as family members.
    The late A. I. Hallowell, an anthropologist in the American Civilization
Program at Penn, published an essay fifty or more years ago, arguing that
Native American societies were more open to absorbing whites and blacks than
either of those groups were to reciprocate.  Thus, one might enter an Indian
polity as a slave or a captive but that status was not necessarily
permanent.
    Most Native American societies in the eastern woodlands of North America
were slash and burn agriculturalists, who combined migratory farming with
hunting.  A permanent system of slavery implies (thought it does not always
achieve) food self-sufficiency.  European settlements in North and South
America that set up slave plantations--and it is important to remember that
the Chesapeake colonies commenced plantations with white workers on
contract--were engaged in an international system that provided food for
cash or cash-crops when necessary.  The plantations that produced sugar,
tobacco, rice, indigo, and later cotton and hemp, were engaged in an
advanced economic system that can fairly be called capitalism:  a stage of
development not reached even by the immense empires of the Aztecs, Maya, or
Inca.
    I suspect that Africans in Virginia up to 1680 would not have
experienced much difference between enslavement by whites or by Indians.
After 1680, and certainly after about 1730, when Virginia (and Maryland) had
become vast empires of tobacco production, the difference would have been
quite noticeable.

Harold

Harold S. Forsythe