From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 07:50:32 -0400
Folks,

         As mentioned a few weeks ago, I am making progress with my plans
to develop Macromedia Flash presentations on the Famous Americans in the
Virginia SOLs. I now have a source of good pictures for the applications in
a family of homeschooled children with impressive art skills. We started
studying Pocahontas last week and I hope to have the children draw pictures
of various times in Pocahontas' life as their test on the topic. The
English paintings I've found online all show Pocahontas in stone buildings
rather than in the woods. I know there were no stone buildings at Jamestown.

         For the picture of her baptism, Pocahontas is shown at a baptismal
font inside a church. For her wedding, she is again shown in a church. Both
churches are stone.

         My question is whether the baptism and the wedding were likely to
take place in the wooden chapel at Jamestown, or were they likely done
outdoors?  Would the wooden chapel have had a marble baptismal font when
Pocahontas was baptized about 5-6 years after the settlement was started?
What else could have been used?

         Any suggestions gratefully appreciated.

                                 Anne

Anne Pemberton