From:
"Valos, Troy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2023 13:52:24 +0000
Good Morning everyone,

Sargeant Memorial Collection (SMC), Norfolk Public Library's Local History and Genealogy Collection, is having its carpet replaced starting on December 4th (Monday).  The tentative reopening date for SMC is December 26th (Tuesday).  During this recarpeting, SMC will be closed to in-person visits and we will be limited in our ability to work on requests received through postal mail, web form, email, or phone.

If a research request is received by SMC staff during this closure period, they will log it into our system and work on it when the resources become accessible.

SMC’s digital resources will be available through our website.  Please go here: https://www.norfolkpubliclibrary.org/learning-research/local-history-genealogy/smc-research-tools

We have been building up a wiki site with information and resources dealing with this region's history and genealogy, here: https://sites.google.com/view/shrvawiki/home

We have also found that a lot of Norfolk history books have been digitized and are available on sites like Internet Archive, HathiTrust, and Google Books.

Some of Norfolk's historic newspapers have been digitized and made available at the Library of Virginia's Virginia Chronicle here:  https://virginiachronicle.com/

Please contact these nearby Local History and Genealogy collections for assistance while SMC is closed for re-carpeting.

  *   Virginia Beach Public Library – Edgar T. Brown Local History Archive:  https://libraries.virginiabeach.gov/research-learn/edgar-t-brown-local-history-archive

  *   Chesapeake Public Library – Wallace Room (Norfolk County Historical Society):  https://www.norfolkcountyvahistory.org/

  *   Portsmouth Public Library – Wilson Room:  https://www.portsmouthpubliclibrary.org/164/Esther-Murdaugh-Wilson-Memorial-Room

The Library of Virginia in Richmond, Virginia is another institution to consult, as it contains a significant number of resources relating to Norfolk and South Hampton Roads region.  https://www.lva.virginia.gov/

Please check our page at https://www.norfolkpubliclibrary.org/learning-research/local-history-genealogy and Norfolk Public Library’s Facebook feed for updates on when SMC will be reopened.

If you have questions, please let me know.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Troy

Troy Valos, MA, MSIS