From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:50:14 -0500
I continue to work on a collection of music which was written for and I guess performed at the 1907 Jamestown Exposition.  The one of most general interest are the 6 piano parts including some pretty good advertising art of the time.  Number two are brass-band arrangements of those plus Sousa's Powhatan's Daughter March ( I sure would like to get a piano version of it too), plus four selections which were performed at the 1807 celebration.  Number two is probably not of general interest, and it is Number one that I would like to find somebody to publish.

Number three is my march, which at the moment continues to be called THE TRUMPETER OF JAMESTOWNE, and it has received some pretty good reviews from bands to whom I have sent the brass-band version.  It has lotsa rudamental drumming, excerpts from two bugle calls from the british army (THE LAST POST & ATTENTION),  excerpt from the BUGLER OF KRAKOW (Poland, who warned the people of the approach of the Turks in the 13th c), and is built around three English tunes of the time.  THE HUNT IS UP (reportedly played by city waites to wake folks in the morning), LUSTY GALLANT (a tune with words extolling the Virginia Lottery), and most important WILLIAM OF NASSAU - THE PRINCE OF ORANGE's SONG.  The latter is the only one in the march that we KNOW was played in the New World prior to Jamestowne..... See Sir Francis Drake's raid on the West Indies, 1586.  (If you want a CD of the whole march, with a 3-minute preface by yours truly, ala Uncle Lennie Bernstein, giving some background, then send me your snail-mail address.)

Back to publication of Number two:  I handled PATRIOTIC SONGS AND AIRS OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA back in 1997, and more recently MUSIC OF THE 19th VA ARTY BAND CD by myself, and ended up moving pretty close to 1000 units of each which is not bad for a back-room operation.  But I'm getting too old to write copy, speak at meetings, take the show on the road, etc. etc.

I think the 40-page book will be a good seller over the next couple of years -- at least 1000 copies.  I can provide camera-ready images,  pagination, a brief introduction.  I do need an imaginative (color?) cover.  But I shall have completed most of the work for the publisher.

I sent an EMail to DOVER publications this morning, and plan to write the University of Virginia Press. But are there any other academic presses, or independent publishing companies in Virginia that anybody out there thinks might be interested in this target of opportunity?

Randy Cabell
The Trumpeter of The Shenandoah Valley