Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:50:16 -0400
Thank you for broaching a new and useful topic, James.

I can not imagine that anyone who teaches Virginia history can be happy with the SOLs, at whatever level we teach.

Do note, however, that the section of the Virginia SOLs that pertain to Virginia History are from fourth grade history.  From what I have seen of the elementary school curriculum, even in good schools, there is just not going to be all that much relationship between 4th grade Virginia history and college level Virginia history.

I'd be very curious indeed to hear from the 4th grade teachers who subscribe to this list.  What sorts of things, realistically speaking, *can* we expect your students to be learning?  How important is the specific content, at this grade level?
Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Department of History
James Madison University