From:
Joan Logan Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 16:27:55 -0400
 Mr. Finkelman writes: "It is too bad that the governor of Va. has so little
respect for the institutions that made the state an important and great one.
It is one more indication of the failure of public officials to understand
that culture and history are central to the creation of a truly great socity
and nation."

I guess Mr. F. is unaware that, even after these huge budget cuts, Virginia
STILL has a huge budget deficit.  I personally don't think the Governor is
unmindful of the value of history and library resources or disrespectful of
the Commonwealth's institutions.  I am sure it is merely that a 2 billion
dollar deficit must be whittled somehow.  And I suspect we have not yet seen
the last of the whittling, painful though it is for us all.

Joan Logan Brooks
a Southside Virginian through 11 proven generations