From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Nov 2012 15:51:09 +0000
It is worth noting that in the 1770s and 1780s, some Virginians objected to slavery for reasons of state.  The experience of the early years of the Revolution, when Lord Dunmore armed Virginia slaves against their former masters, confirmed for some Virginia politicians the general vulnerability of slave societies to external attack.  This was an argument that came up during the Virginia Ratifying Convention of June, 1788, but it had also been articulated earlier, in the efforts of some Virginia politicians to end the slave trade.

This was clearly an argument in opposition to slavery, but its not the kind of thing that had much traction in post-ratification arguments about slavery, and so its one that historians tend to forget.

There is of course room to debate the seriousness with which this argument, or any other anti-slavery argument, existed in the minds of Virginia slave-owners.  There can be no question, however, that a great many Virginia slave owners experienced a visceral fear of slave insurrection--which would tend to suggest that at times anyway, the kind of argument I am referencing here may have been felt with some conviction.

All best,
Kevin
Kevin R. Hardwick
Associate Professor