From:
Ray Bonis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 09:55:14 -0500
I was just responding with a little humor to Mr. Cabell's remarks who wrote:

"I'm hardpressed to think of any GREATEST since (reading of) Col. Mosby
welcoing Gen. Sheridan to the northwest corner of
Virginia by burning his supply train, north of Berryville."

By the way, Gen. Sheridan (*Philip Hendry Shridan*) had a very fine time
in Virginia.      "Here he contested Gen. Early's Confederate troops,
destroyed crops which were the breadbasket of the Confederate army,
defeated and killed Gen. J.E.B. Stuart (famous cavalry leader of the
south) and eventually, in the battle of Cedar Creek, drove Early out of
the valley. As the war neared its end Sheridan was the leader in forcing
Gen. Lee out of his Petersburg, Va. defenses and eventually cutting off
his retreat at Appomattox Court House." [From
www.netpluscom.com/~pchs/sheridan.htm]

He was a very effective Yankee General in Virginia.  Maybe if he could
magically be in charge of promoting Jamestown 2007 celebrations the
prospects for its success would be much improved.

Ray B.       ;-)