From:
Walter Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 12:01:20 -0500
Dear Randy,

I did not read the article but your request gives me the opening I need to recommend to you the book: "War - Ends &
Means" by Paul Seabury and Angelo Codevilla, Basic Books, Inc., ISBN 0-465-09067-2, copyright 1989.

Anyone attempting to probe the tragedy of the American Civil War or another war would benefit from this analysis of
why we fight.

Here are a couple of lines that should stir your interest: "It is not that they love peace less, but that they love
their kind of peace more." -- Saint Augustine.

"In the 1860's, just like at the time of the constitutional convention, and just like today, these issues were
fought out in the context of commercial interest and religious fervor."

The book is probably out of print so I recommend you attempt to obtain it through the excellent service - the Inter
Library Loan.

Regards,

Ray