From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 15:59:49 -0500
Thanks for the note.  I thought picking a name was hard, but not THIS hard.  I am now leaning toward adding GRAND March to the end.

The Jamestowne (Something) Grand March

Grand Marches were big in the mid 19th century, with just about everybody getting one dedicated to them.  Lincolon, Jeff Davis, Robert E. Lee, etc.

This elevation beyond the status of a plain vanilla march may ameliorate the fact that I think it will have to go into waltz time toward the end of the trio.  A MARCH IN WALTZ TIME!!!?!?!?!??!  I don't think I have ever heard of such either, but the final tune in the march medley will be William of Nassau - Prince of Orange, which at the moment is the only tune that I have documented which was actually played in the New World before 1609.  It went on to greater fame as the National Anthem of the Netherlands, and like many patriotic tunes, for some reason it moves into 3/4 time.  We cannot complain since both THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER and AMERICA are in 3/4, but then you don't usually see people marching to them.

This is really getting to be a lot of fun, thanks in large part to all you good folks out there in VA-HIST who have helped me.  I hope to get back to working on the march tomorrow -- spent most of the day today designing band-book covers for another part of the project:

                    "Not the 1907 Jamestown Exposition Brass Band"

I don't know whether such a band existed, but brass bands were everywhere in the early 1900's, and I think I recall on the front of Vol II of the Jamestown Exposition book that I saw last weekend in Jamestowne, a picture of part of a military band -- trombone and bass -- standing at attention.   That's enough for me.  Think of all the possibilities of my creation.  Anybody can not be a member of the band!!!!!  If you have always wanted to play the trumpet, then I can make you:

    "Not the solo trumpet player of  'Not the 1907 Jamestown Exposition Brass Band.'

Thanks again.

Randy Cabell
Bandmaster of Not the 1907 Jamestown Exposition Brass Band