From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 23:38:14 -0400
Stephan,

You have a gentle way of persuasion. What you say, as you suggest, is not
new to me, although, as retirement permits me more time for historical
readings, I am still a student, and excited about the opportunity to take
huge gulps of the heady wine of knowledge.

As you no doubt surmised from my posts today, I am dismayed at some of
Jefferson's behavior to specific women and to women in general. There is an
old joke that southern women as maintained "barefoot and pregnant" by their
husbands, and one of the accounts in Kukla's appendices provides fuel for a
fire that Jefferson was one who practiced that tradition. Undoubtedly, it
led to her early death and his dismay at losing a lifemate. But, the
knowledge that constant pregnancy not only results in the early "wearing
out" of the woman, but often in the decline of the resulting children is
part of modern science, and perhaps it is my/our generation who, emerging
from large families that were still desirable in the mid 20-th century,
women at last rebelled from the wasting of theirr lives and intellect in
constant child-bearing. Smaller families have allowed women to excel in
other fields including those of intellectual pursuits, and the predominance
of males in our colleges has given way to a predominance of females who are
pursuing more than the feminine arts and wiles and have thereby made
themselves more independent of their fathers and husbands for their support
as well as their satisfaction from meaningful careers.

For some reason, I spent much of my life under the delusion that Jefferson,
Washington and others of our Founding Fathers were a cut above the rest of
humanity. It is a bit discomfitting at this time of life, to be discovering
the clay feet that held them all to the ground. I'm sure I will "get over
it" and again find the areas in which to continue my admiration for the
gifts these men possessed. But, I think I can be less critical of modern
figures for whom it is much easier for us to discern the clay in the pretty
boots that we have to struggle so much more to ferret out of the historical
record.

It is on days like this that I wish the stories I write about a magical
history hat that instantly transports one back in time and wherever in
place, to meet with these people and -- today at least --- give them a
spirited piece of my mind!

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert