From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 03:51:13 GMT
Many times it is not the people doing this, but the media and
government agencies. I guess it makes it easier to keep track of
folks. When the racial classifications started, it was the government
quantifying people. After all, even Americus Vespucci, was not
American (smile).

Anita

-- J S Freeman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On 5/21/07, J S Freeman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I was referring to the use of hyphenations for certain groups of
> Americans.  Are we not all Americans?  We can be proud of our
ancestries but
> do we need to quantify things by labeling things Asian-American or
> European-American?  Theodore Roosevelt had some very interesting
things to
> say about such ideas.  Label when necessary but going too far down
that road
> begins to cast one group against another as if we are not all
Americans.
> The history of black Americans and American Indians is AMERICAN
history and
> should be part of the whole not looked at as something apart as if
it is in
> a vaccuum.
>
> Regarding St Patrick, that technically is a religious holiday,
though the
> Irish have adopted it as an ethnic holiday.  If you are not Irish
or Roman
> Catholic, I see no reason to celebrate it but I guess it is a
harmless
> pasttime if you do.  The melting pot of this wonderful country has
made it
> an American holiday.
>
> Regarding Cinco de Mayo, what is the reason Americans should
celebrate
> it?  This is a day that celebrates a Mexican political event; I
would not
> object if it were truly a cultural festival but I dont expect the
British to
> celebrate Independence Day on the Fourth of July so I dont see the
point of
> celebrating of Cinco de Mayo, or Dominion Day, the Candian holiday
on July
> 1.
>
> I believe in ultimate freedom so I do not believe we should deny
anyone
> the right to celebrate whatever they wish.  But teaching Cinco de
Mayo, or
> Kwanzaa- a total fraud of a cultural festival- when we should be
teaching
> American history strikes me as folly and a waste of time.
>
> Your obedient servant
> JS Freeman
>

> On 5/21/07, Jane Steele <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > To what hyphenated labels are you referring to?  And if we can
celebrate
> > St. Patrick's Day can we as well celebrate holidays that all
immigrants to
> > this country hold dear or should we just go with the traditional
ones and
> > leave minorities out?  Please explain yourself.  After all St.
Patrick was a
> > slave for a while during his lifetime just as Richard Popular
was.  Jane
> > Steele.

correctness that