From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 16:05:42 -0500
On Mar 9, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Hardin, David wrote:

>   Lyle,
>
>   Do you know if Spottswood's Tubal Germanna site is
>   protected by the State or Spotsylvania County?
I'm not aware of protection by any other than the landowner. It is on
the VA Register and the National Register of Historic Places but
unless it is in the ownership of an entity that has a preservation
mission, the distinction is honorific. The landowner can do with it
as they wish. Can't remember whether it is owned by the Germanna
Foundation or not.
>   know Mary Washington was working on the Enchanted
>   Castle,
They and DHR worked for years on that. They kept trying to maintain
that the fort was at the VDOT Rt. 3 crossing and as I was then the
VDOT archaeologist, was able to prove it wasn't and kept telling them
it was there where the castle was based on Byrd's description.
Finally it was found under Spottswood's landscaping.

> but I can't recall anything ever being
>   mentioned about the furnace site, the Tubal
>   blockhouse, or the first German settlement.
Don't think that's been found that either.
>   I read
>   some of the materials published by the Memorial
>   Foundation of the Germanna Colonies from the early
>   60s that indicated they had identifies some of the
>   most important structures (they even planted a
>   cherry tree on the blockhouse foundation - sigh).
Commemoration trees do more danged damage.

>   Development is fast expanding out that way and the
>   blockhouse site has great views, so it will be a
>   tempting pize for a developer.
The problem with the Tubal site is that it has possibly got a later
furnace stuck on it. The 1849 Map of the Goldbearing District of VA
and noted that there's a furnace. Scott's is the name of the house
just west and may be the name of the furnace as well. I thought the
stack was in awfully good shape when I saw it and a middle 19th
century furnace would be a reasonable proximate cause.

Lyle Browning, RPA