From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 17:48:44 -0500
I must disagree with country.gardens about Reconstruction.  It was the
necessary outcome of the Civil War, which was a revolution of sorts.  With
the destruction of an entire labor regime--remember that there were more
slaves age 11 and older than there were wage workers of any race age 11 and
over as late as the Census of 1850--the southern world was turned upside
down.  The economy and polity had to be reconstructed.  Certainly, most
white southerners and most Democrats nationwide wanted as little change as
possible.  That was the conservative position then:  return power to the
states, don't interfere with questions of personal status in civil society,
don't elevate people of color to equal citizenship.

The North had taken grievous losses during the War.  As 1865 turned into
1866, northern public opinion demanded more concessions made to Emancipation
and ultimately enfranchisement.  The radical faction among Republicans in
Congress, perhaps a minority, had the moral high ground.  They pushed
through a major legislative and constituional amendment project that
transformed American law, if not immediately the nation itself.

Congress also created the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Land
inside the War Department.  The agents of the BRFAL supervised the process
of freedpeople moving from slave to wage labor, family registration, travel
to original family area, and a number of other necessary service.

But it is needless to go on.  If one subject has been settled by brilliant
scholarship, the nature of Reconstruction has been.  Start with Eric Foner's
Reconstruction and read on.

Harold S. Forsythe