From:
Willow Bend Books <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Willow Bend Books <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:58:46 -0500
One of the more interesting books that Willow Bend Books has reprinted this
past year was one entitled, Register of the Merchant Taylors' School,
1562-1699 by the Rev. Charles J. Robinson. The Merchant Taylors' Company, I
assume was an English Guild, but probably not. Given the entries it looks
like it just draws its scholars from the Guilds. Future emails I am sure
will determine the correctness or lack of correctness of my assumption. <G>

What I found interesting were entries such as:

Thomas Fairfax, son of Thomas, weaver, born in par. of St. Edmund the King,
22 Mar. 1653, and previously educated in Dugard's Private School.

Samuel Abell, third son of Edward, goldsmith, b. in St. Peter's, Cornhill.
[List of 1661]

I descend from Quaker tailors from London who left kids behind and there is
an entry for a Benjamin Scott in the correct timeframe (1696), but there is
just the name on the list. Figures. <G>

C.

Craig R. Scott, CGRS

Willow Bend Books