From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:10:42 -0500
  You ignore your own assumptions.  You assume that a state has sovereignty
over a city and a city over its constituent neighborhoods.
  In fact, states have power over cities, towns, and counties first of
all because states possess superior force (National Guard).
Likewise, the national government has superior power to the states
(military forces, national police, intelligence services, etc.)
  From the British point of view in the 1770s, the colonies in
America possessed not a single shred of sovereignty, being
subordinate corporations created by Parliament, much as the West
India Company was.  Only force created sovereign bodies out of
those colonies.  Likewise, force underwrote the transition from the
fiction of state sovereignty to the contemporary fact of national
sovereignty.