From:
Hollis Gentry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:32:05 -0800
I have a collateral ancestor, Rose Reynolds, who owned
at least five slaves in her lifetime in Norfolk, VA.
Rose purchased my ggg grandmother, her sister, and
freed her.  When Rose died intestate, my ggg
grandfather became the executor of her estate.  Rose's
children were being educated in Baltimore at the time
and could not return to Virginia to claim their
inheritance which included personal household items
and three slaves.  When the estate was liquidated, the
slaves were sold.  I have yet to establish a
personal/familial link to these three slaves, so I
cannot say that Rose never owned slaves for profit.

I'm currently compiling data on free black slave
owners in Norfolk.  Unfortunately, the only data I'm
finding on them, to link them with their slaves, is at
the moment of emancipation.  Many of the emancipators
were related to the slaves they freed, thus would
present a skewed picture of the nature of slave
ownership.

-my half a cent...

Hollis Gentry