Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 10:57:33 -0600
Within a long list of state and federal legislature for Women's Rights the
one that stands out concerning this discussion is: The Pregnancy
Discrimination Act of 1978 that bans employment discrimination against
pregnant women.

Specifically as to teachers, in earlier times of the 20th century local
school boards and administrators were reluctant to hire or continue with a
newlywed female teacher who very likely would not be able to fill her
contractural teaching term due to pregnancy.  Moreover, there was of course
the 'taboo' of not exposing children to daily viewing a pregnant woman in an
educational environment, even during her early months....this simply opened
the door to "things that shouldn't be discussed in front of children."  I
doubt there was any hard and fast rule or law about this, the actions of
school boards/administrators simply expressed local sentiment and varied for
specific cases, locations and times.  Some newlywed female teachers also
felt an obligation to decline contracting for another term knowing they
likely would be committing a 'breach of contract,' or possibly of more
importance to the teacher, it would be 'failing her kids' to disrupt their
education.

I have no scholarly basis for my commentary, just service on a local school
board and discussions with teachers over many years.

Neil McDonald