From:
"Hardin, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:47:15 -0500
  Lyle,

  Do you know if Spottswood's Tubal Germanna site is
  protected by the State or Spotsylvania County?  I
  know Mary Washington was working on the Enchanted
  Castle, but I can't recall anything ever being
  mentioned about the furnace site, the Tubal
  blockhouse, or the first German settlement.  I read
  some of the materials published by the Memorial
  Foundation of the Germanna Colonies from the early
  60s that indicated they had identifies some of the
  most important structures (they even planted a
  cherry tree on the blockhouse foundation - sigh).
  Development is fast expanding out that way and the
  blockhouse site has great views, so it will be a
  tempting pize for a developer.

________________________________

Dr. David S. Hardin
Assistant Professor of Geography
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences
Longwood University
Farmville, Virginia 23909
Phone: (434) 395-2581
e-mail: [log in to unmask]