From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 22:37:09 -0400
I think the argument is that it is hard to figre out what "aggression" there was, since as I recall, it was a Confederate battery that attacted the troops of the United States of American (under the command of Major Anderson of Kentucky) and not the other way around.  But maybe I read some history book written by a northerner!

I always prefer the "official title" that the United States of America called it, "The War of the Rebellion."

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386
>>> Hist Docs <[log in to unmask]> 06/25/08 10:25 PM >>>
"The War of Northern Agression"

And why, might I inquire, would that be so "stupid" to many of us who have VERY deep southern roots?   I find a certain arrogance in your attitude that suggests to me you believe yourself, and the "north" in general, superior to we Southerners.

Glad we Southerners could provide you with a you laugh.

R.B. Jenkins

Proud 14th generation Virginian