From:
Sam Treynor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 2008 13:56:57 -0500
Kevin -

Who should we worry about, those ordinary people who, given liberty, might
not do what is best, or those hungry for power, who given coercive
authority, might use it to oppress?  It is not unduly optimistic to prefer
to take the risk of liberty.

Since you bring up the Hobbesgoblin, let me point out that he was writing,
around the time of the British Civil Wars, in favor of a strong central
government, preferably monarchy, and against the revolutionary forces in
favor of liberty and religious tolerance which ultimately led to our
constitutionally limited form of government.

To wander back to the original topic, I would much rather use public funds
to preserve Fort Monroe for its historical value than most of the things
government officials usually think of.

Respectfully,

Sam Treynor

Many political philosophers adhere to an Augustinian view of human
nature--the view so well summarized by Thomas Hobbes, and his assertion that
life in a state of nature amounts to life in a state of war, and thus is
"nasty, brutish, solitary, and short."

If we take a "realist" view, even one less extreme than that of Hobbes, then
it is not at all obvious that people, left to their own devices, will choose
to life together decently and civilly.  Respect for the rule of law may very
well not be something that we can or should take for granted.

If that is the case, then isn't it appropriate for the Government to
"cultivate correct behavior" among citizens?

If Fortress Monroe can contribute towards inculcating respect for the rule
of law, and for the maximum degree of  personal responsibility,
self-reliance, and self determination compatible with ordered liberty, then
I am all for expenditure of public funds to make that happen.  If Fortress
Monroe can contribute to teaching about the government's necessary role in
public defense against external and internal aggression, then I am all for
that too.  If Fortress Monroe can teach about the dangers of tyranny of the
majority, then that strikes me as a positive contribution to our civic life
as well.