From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jan 2007 11:52:19 -0500
It makes sense that when the Saxon barons were demoted by the
French-speaking Normans that the language of the former feudal rulers would
demoted along with the lords themselves.  Law French replaced Anglish as the
language of the courts.  I think it was the poet Robert Graves in his
handbook on writing, The Reader Over Your Shoulder, who stated that the bulk
of Romance vocabulary imported into English came from the French of the
Normans during their initial 2-3 centuries of occupation.

On the history of languages--vocabulary, grammar, and scripts--there is a
encyclopedic new work.  See Nicholas Ostler, Empires of the Word:  A
Language History of the World (Harper-Collins, NY, 2005, paperback 2006)

Harold S. Forsythe