Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:46:39 EDT
Just got back from a weekend conference (more on that later) and saw  the
chain on lynching.  No one has stepped forward with the beneficial uses  of
lynching, so I will.

My g-g-grandfather was a gold miner in Idaho Territory (now Montana) during
a period (1850's) when highwaymen routinely robbed miners and citizens, and
killed a fair number in the process.  My g-g-grandfather was robbed of a  bag
of gold dust and two pistols while on a stagecoach from Alder Gulch, Montana
to his home in Virginia City, Montana.  Now, he was one of the founders of  the
Virginia City Citizens Committee for Vigilance (was in fact treasurer), so
some of the members and he went out, found the highwaymen who had robbed the
stagecoach in a bunkhouse (along with the gold dust and pistols) and summarily
took them outside and "strung em up."  During the following period of about
a year, 50-60 highwaymen and other criminal thugs in Montana were also found
guilty by the citizen "Vigalanties" and were hung (including the infamous
Plummer Gang).

Something then happened.  Crime virtually came to a standstill in  Montana.
Perhaps a lesson to be gained there.

Some years ago I was in Virginia City doing some genealogical research and
checked into the historic hotel in town.  The old guy behind the desk  looked
at my name and asked me if I was related to my g-g-grandfather.  I  told him
yes and the connection.  He said "well your g-g-grandfather hung  my grandfather
Henry Plummer."  We laughed and I bought him dinner and a  few drinks that
night.  He let on this his grandfather deserved what he  got.

Moreover, if the theory behind capital punishment is deterrence, then maybe
we need to bring public hanging back for public display so those who would
commit capital crimes could see how they will be rewarded.  Puting someone  to
death in secret doesn't seem to me to fully meet the goal of detering others,
since we can't really see how horrible the execution is.

J South