From:
James Hershman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 06:38:52 -0500
Ed,

Yes, 1691 comes from Edmund Morgan and others. It was the real basis of
the caste system that would form the legal underpinning for the emerging
slave system. There could be not LEGAL kinship ties between the "white"
and "black" castes. It persisted until Loving in 1967. The Supreme Court
at the time of Brown decided not to rule on another VA miscegenation
case, Naim, involving a Chinese man and a white woman, saying that, "one
bomb shell at a time was enough."

Jim Hershman