From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2001 14:59:15 -0500
Quick response.  First, Morrison was a professor at Harvard, in history, for
about 50 years.  It Churchill that good a historian, or merely a good writer?

But, to the major point.  Certain TJ as an architect may not be a reflection of
his status as slaveowner, although his ability to build and rebuild his home was
a function of that.  But, for his public career, his actions, such as his early
embargo against Haiti, he annexation of Lousiana despite his constitutional
doubts, his refusal to endorse manumisison programs, are all a function of his
status as a slaveowner.  Indeed, in TJ's case more than many other leaders, the
personal did dicatate the policies quite often.

His science, such as it was, at least as set out in NOTES ON THE STATE OF
VIRGINIA was racist and designed in fact to support slavery, thus his
"scientific" judgments about the abilities of blacks.

On religious freedom, he certainly did not seem willing to extend that freedom to
slaves or even free blacks.  One might argue, in fact, that his desire for
religious freedom was a function of his need to have a united front for all
whites, and eliminate all disharmony among whites, to protect against blacks.

-
Paul Finkelman
Chapman Distinguished Professor
University of Tulsa College of Law