From:
Basil Forest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 18:33:26 EST
It may be hard for you to imagine, but the Supreme Court, charged with
deciding that issue, found Lincoln lacked the Constitutional authority and that
was, and always is, the final word in Constitutional  debates.  So, any debate
about it was ended and Lincoln was required to  comply with the Court's
decision.  He refused to do so, a clearly  impeachable action by any standard.

I fail to find anything meritorious in Lincoln's continual actions in
ignoring the Constitution and his oath of office to follow his own feelings on  what
he could and could not do.

I am sure the 600,000 dead Americans in the Civil War would agree.