From:
Paul Levengood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:06:19 -0500
Dear Va-Histers,
The following announcement of the 2003 Virginia Historical Society
research fellowship program should interest a number of subscribers to
this list.  Please pass it on to any non-subscribers you know who might
be interested.
Thanks,
Paul Levengood

----
Paul A. Levengood, Ph.D.
Managing Editor of the
Virginia Magazine of History and Biography
Virginia Historical Society
Box 7311
Richmond, VA 23221

phone 804.342.9673
fax 804.355.2399

2003 Virginia Historical Society Research Fellowship Program

To promote the interpretation of Virginia history and access to its
collections, the Virginia Historical Society offers fellowships of up to
four weeks a year.  Awards include the Andrew W. Mellon Research
Fellowships, the Betty Sams Christian Fellowships in business history,
the Frances Lewis Fellowships in women's studies, and the Reese
Fellowships in American Bibliography and the History of the Book in the
Americas.  We make awards on the basis of the applicants' scholarly
qualifications, the merits of their proposals, and the appropriateness
of their topics, as demonstrated by citation to specific sources in our
collections.

We award a few grants ($150 per week) for mileage to commuting
researchers.  However, the majority of awards ($500 per week) go to
those who live farther away.  We expect recipients to work on a regular
basis in our reading room during the period of their award.  We welcome
applications from doctoral candidates. Undergraduates, master's
students, and graduate students not yet admitted to Ph.D. candidacy are
not eligible.

Applicants should send an original and three copies of the following: a
cover letter, c.v., two letters of recommendation (sent separately), and
a description of their research project not longer than two
double-spaced pages that also states the length of the award requested.
The deadline for applications is 1 February 2003; awards will be
announced by 15 March 2003.  The committee will make partial awards and
will consider reapplications in following years up to these limits: for
doctoral candidates, a maximum of three weeks in a five-year period; for
faculty or independent scholars, a maximum of six weeks in a five-year
period.

Send applications to: Dr. Nelson D. Lankford, Chairman, Research
Fellowship Committee, Virginia Historical Society, 428 N. Boulevard,
Richmond, VA 23220; telephone 804-342?9672; fax 804-355-2399;
[log in to unmask]  http://www.vahistorical.org