From:
Jim Glanville <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:23:55 -0400
Subject: Whitehaven Port Books. Request for an interpretation of a
minuscule point.
Date: Saturday 18 September 2010. 10:40 am.
To: Discussion of research and writing about Virginia history
From: Jim Glanville <[log in to unmask]>

Fellow List Members:

During an examination of the circa 1739 Whitehaven Port Books
(microfilm reel 930 of the Virginia Colonial Records Project), I find
frequent entries of the type: "In the [name of a ship] predt. [name
of a person]" followed by a list of goods. The "p" in predt is
sometimes capitalized and the "t" is usually superscripted.

My present understanding of the abbreviation in this format is that
it signifies a vessel carries goods on behalf of a particular owner.
In other words, that the named person is the consignor or shipper of
the goods.

Would some list member kindly correct or amplify my understanding? Is
the transcription predt correct? What does it or its correction mean exactly?

Thanks.

Jim Glanville