From:
Heritage Society <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:39:18 -0400
Henry
I was surprised you took a gratuitous swipe at the Scholars Commission (“so-called”?). Are not the “slave studies” academics you would have added to the Commission still supporters of the Woodson family myth? There seems to be a definite nostalgia for it on the Monticello webpage. And are they not the same group that rely on the testimony of Madison Hemings? Now that they know there was no “Tom Woodson,” do they now support the Madison Hemings tale of the “baby who died.”? Or was that one of his “errors.”? Without a “Tom,” without a Paris child and without any sources for the Callender articles, there is only the slim connection of the Jefferson DNA. That doesn't sound like the stuff of “lofty theorizing,” but just the willingness to try and  connect the factual dots.

Richard E. Dixon
Editor, Jefferson Notes
Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society
703-691-0770