From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2008 19:48:19 -0400
Anne,

I did read much in Kukla's book besides the Hemings issue but got tired
of REREADING old earlier published material that may seem new to you but
not to me. I read such statements as (pg 116) "nevertheless, the
available evidence now suggests that Callender was essentially correct
about Jefferson's relationship with Sally Hemings." NOW I have a
question for both you and Jon, have you read the findings of the DNA
tests?? If so, you know that there was NO Jefferson/Thomas Woodson match
as charged by James Callender, thus he was a liar as earlier charged and
now proven so by science.

Pg. 118 Mr. Kukla follows the often reported rumor that Martha Jefferson
and Sally Hemings were half-sisters. Where is the proof Jon? I refer the
reader to a very seriously researched book, "Anatomy of a Scandal" by
Dr. and Mrs. James F. McMurry, Jr. (available at Amazon) in which they
dig very deep to prove that the old rumor is a lie. But it does seem to
give detractors a handle to state that Martha and Sally are
interchangeable to the likes of Mr. Jefferson.

Pg.125 Mr Kukla poses the question "when did the sexual relationship
between Jefferson and Hemings begin?" Then he rambles on about the old
1802 James Callender LIE that DNA disproved, but he does avow that
Callender and others were probably wrong about, Tom. Jon, I wonder why
Sally "waited" for almost 6 years after return from Paris to have a
FIRST acknowledged child, was it because at this time brother Randolph
had lost his first wife and was between wives during the birth of all of
her children. Shortly after Eston's birth Randolph again married his
second wife and NO MORE Sally children were born.

Pg 126 Even if Sally may have had a child, conceived in France, as
claimed by a person that we have already come to expect unproven truth
from, Madison Hemings, such child would have had to be conceived at a
time Sally was away from Mr. Jefferson's location to a five week
training school as Jon mentions. Therefore, any such child, and Jon does
not believe this either, would have some father other than Thomas
Jefferson.

Pg 129 Jon wisely informs us that "with Sally Hemings, his possession,
his control, and her submission were complete." A true scholar
possessing the "facts" just like Annette Gordon-Reed, Fawn Brodie and
others.

Pg 131 "Sally Hemings was Thomas Jefferson's perfect remedy for
wholesome sexual release." Jon you sure you don't write soap operas
also?

Pg 133 On this page Jon informs us that the duration of the relationship
ran from 1795 to his death in 1826. Come on Jon pull out those facts and
share them with AGR and all of us.

Pg. 135 Jon here reminds us that because an unwritten oral promise
arrangement with Sally all of her children were released. Let us please
remember that Harriet II was permitted to "run away" at age 21 and
Beverly was permitted to run away at about age 24. If such an agreement
existed WHY didn't TJ free them both at age 21 formally and legally? Why
had Beverly not been released at age 21 as Madison claims?

Pg 137 Here Jon again makes reference to a TJ liaison with Sally.
"Jefferson's children by Sally Hemings were legally white."

Now of course Jon and many of the current authors have access to the
Monticello files at the Jefferson Studies and it makes one wonder if the
stance of Dan Jordan there that TJ possibly fathered ALL of Sally's
children have any bearing on what appears in their books. Never mind
that fact should be paramount in such books and Monticello research and
again let it be known that ONLY ONE Hemings was tested and NONE of these
authors have an ounce of proof so are there any standards and
accountability for such books and attitudes? I am tired and must close
for now but I can continue the Kukla misinformation later if readers
desire.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian
Asst. to Dr Foster with DNA Tests

Herbert,

Have you read Kukla's book in total? Or did you just read a bit from the

chapter on Sally Hemings and, not finding it to your liking, damned the
whole work?

The reference to the Commonplace Book was not (as I recall) in the Sally

Hemings chapter, but in another chapter, only obliquely referring to his

ALLEGED relationship with his maid.

As to the "pimping" I am using the common definition of one who procures

partners for a woman who is expected to perform sexual services for said

partners, to the benefit of the "pimp". That "benefit" is typically
money,
but it can be anything even as small as a "Thank you" and still lie
within
the definition.

As long as you keep insisting that any Jefferson paternity to Sally's
children must be attributed to relatives, I will continue to point out
that
you are reducing your hero to a PIMP.

As to my motives, there are rather open. I just want to know more about
Jefferson's life than is given in his writings and his biographers. In
my
mind, it is better for Fawn Brodie's romantic tale to be true, that they

loved each other over many years, than to believe that he gave her to
any
tom, dick and harry who came to visit.

Anne