From:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Oct 2008 15:24:44 -0700
Re. Oral traditions:   I suspect Anne, that your background doesn't include
instruction in research skills  or you would not have asked the question re.
oral history.  ALL research results --oral and otherwise-- start with
evidence. Under the rules of research (history, genealogy/science), people
who make the claims bear the burden of proof. It is their responsibility to
conduct suitable studies and report them in sufficient detail to permit
evaluation and confirmation by others.

Responsible researchers have responsibilities, too. Before we can accept the
authority of a statement,  the evidence must be weighed, e.g.  more "points"
given to a civil document  than to a letter from Aunt Belle's neighbor's
father.  Because there can be errors in civil documents as well as Auntie's
letter,  good researchers in any field (history, science, genealogy) insist
on what Kathleen called "triangulation."  That's the reason researchers
don't quit with one or two pieces of evidence.   By the way, I should
mention that all research assumes a certain level of logic is used.

Sorry, but mine  is an oversimplified example, and I would suggest you find
the article on evidence by Paul Drake.  Contact him on the VA-Roots list. Or
do a google and treat yourself to a short course on research skills.  Most
disciplines require it  as a first step toward acquiring knowledge.

--Tom Gilmore