From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:26:48 -0500
To Warren, John, and All,

    I know this was probably a private message not meant for the list and I
also know that the disaster in New Orleans is not exactly a H-VA-Hist
subject but feel the need to vent.
    I have wondered why not even the NY Times has focused on the delta
parishes in Louisiana, St Bernard and Plaquemines (actually the NYT finally
did an article on St. Bernard Parish).  They were hit harder even than New
Orleans as Katrina passed right over them.  I talked to a young historian,
born and bred in Plaquemines, who went back several times to help her
parents.  She was devastated by the destruction there.  She said that save
for her parents' home NOTHING was left standing in Plaquemines and there
were no services;  water, electricity, health, etc.
    Roughly 55,000 people lived in the two parishes.  The NYT did report
that when people escaping the destruction in Plaquemines made it to New
Orleans the Thursday after Katrina, they felt saved.  They didn't look on
the terrible destruction in New Orleans as dismaying because the conditions
for survival were so much better in the city than in the rural parish they
had escaped.
    Warren's notifying us of this new storm to hit the area reminds us of
how vulnerable the conditions of life are for the entire west Gulf area.
While hurricanes are not predictable it is inevitable that a string of
strong storms will hit the west Gulf region and will further damage
infrastructure there.
    Forget partisanship for a minute (I am a Democrat and proud of it) but
why has the civil service of the United States--the nonpartisan bulk of the
national bureaucracy--bungled this disaster so badly?  Over a million
people's very lives were and are at risk.
A great city has been humbled by nature in what is certainly the greatest
natural disaster in American history.
    I don't know what the answers are but I certainly have the question:  if
American citizens are suffering from neglect and in harm's way through no
fault of their own, and this has been known for quite some time by our
national government, and little is being done to protect and ressurrect the
lives of my fellow citizens, what the hell am I paying taxes for?

Harold S. Forsythe