From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2014 17:02:07 -0400
You've been had. Read "The American Way Of Death" by one of the Mitford sisters. My dad wanted a plain pine box. Was told by the funeral company it wasn't possible. That was in 1970. Since then, it is not only possible, but they're still making a profit (which is the underlying motive) on coffins. I checked and a plain pine box was $1600???????

Regulations and laws are one thing. Cemetery requirements as private property owners are another. It gets complicated. the general idea behind some of the laws was to keep groundwater safe. That has in turn segued into yet another quagmire. On your own property, you can have a "green" burial. There are cemeteries as indicated, that are promoting this.

At least the US has space for cemeteries. Europe has long had rental of burial spaces followed by whatever after the time period is up and I do mean whatever, and that has been since the Medieval period.

Lyle Browning