From:
Gail Shea <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 14:16:11 EDT
I would appreciate advice and suggestions on finding info Richard Bickley,
who arrived in Virginia on the ship Return and is listed in the 1624/25
muster as a servant of John Utie of Hog Island, but not in the 1623 census.
In May 1627, on Utie's complaint, the general court at Jamestown sentenced
Richard Bickley to be 'laid neck and heels' for 12 hours and fined 200 pounds
of tobacco for '"denying to take armes & discharge his publick duty."  Then
Richard Bickley disappears.
    There is plenty of information on Utie, an important colonial political
figure, and on Richard Bennett, the Puritan Virginia governor and early
Maryland figure who married Utie's widow, Ann.  Likewise on later colonial
Bickleys and their English roots.
    I have fchecked the obvious sources -- Hotten, Adventures of Purse and
Peson, Cavaliers and Pioneers, Swem, Colonial Records Project, Maryland
colonial sources, and sources on pacifism, geneaologies, etc.  So far, the
handful of  contemporary Richard Bickleys on the Mormon Church family search
website don't check out.  I would appreciate any assistance available.
Gail Shea Nardi
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
804 924-3296