Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:46:41 -0400
I think it would be irresponsible of me to teach that Jefferson is "guilty" of siring children by Sally Hemings, in as much as the evidence does not prove that.  As I understand it, the DNA evidence establishes that someone descended from Jefferson's grandfather sired one of Sally Heming's children--and it ruled out that a Jefferson sired another of her children.

Since it is entirely possible that Jefferson had close male relatives who were themselves slaves, I don't think it will ever be possible to say with any certainty whether or not Jefferson had children by Sally Hemings.

I do think that the weight of the evidence makes it likely that Jefferson was the father--but that is not a judgment that can be sustained with scientific certainty.

More to the point, as I suggested in my previous email, I think the whole issue distracts from the larger ways in which Jefferson most emphatically *was* guilty of grave moral lapses.  I think it is entirely appropriate to be critical of Jefferson's moral choices.

All best,
Kevin

Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Department of History