From:
Philip Schwarz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 13:59:15 -0500
I've just returned from a trip. My latest VA-HIST digest is dated
12/17-18. So I don't know whether there have been more recent replies to
Mr. Weiss.

Re the Virginia statute of 1814 on "desertion of slaves": I'm glad
someone else sent John Weiss a transcript of the January 1814 act. There
was also an explanatory act passed Jan. 6, 1815: Acts, 1814-1815, 53,
chapter 10, January 6, 1815, "An Act, To explain the Act, entitled, `An
Act, to perpetuate the evidence of the desertion of slaves to the enemy
and for other purposes.'" The law confirms officers' powers and requires
that watches be maintained over boats that slaves might use to "desert"
to the enemy. I do not have a transcript, but I can send Mr. Weiss one
next week if still needed.

For  context I shamelessly mention my Slave Laws of Virginia, chapter 5,
and my Migrants against Slavery: Virginians and the Nation, chapters 1
and 2. Paul Finkelman has written extensively on the legal questions.

Philip Schwarz