From:
Kevin Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:37:06 -0500
I suspect that Professor Hershman was referring to Jefferson's analysis, in
Chapter XVII ("Manners") of his NOTES ON THE STATE OF VIRGINIA, of the
debilitating and corrosive effects of slavery on the habits and demeanor of
the slave owner:  "The parent storms, the child looks on, catches the
lineaments of wrath, puts on the same airs in the circle of smaller slaves,
gives a loose to his worst passions, and thus nursed, educated, and daily
exercised in tyranny, cannot but be stamped by it with odious
peculiarities.  The man must be a prodigy who can retain his manners and
morals undepraved by such circumstances."

Best,
Kevin R. Hardwick

--On Monday, January 06, 2003 11:22 AM -0500 "Charles L. Dibble [BLS914]"

--
Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor