Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:53:54 -0500

Tom, many thanks for your 'little bit' of info (grin) -- so much for current
maps, names and speculation.  It is interesting to learn that Pleasure House
was indeed located on an open-sea bay, and that Lyn(n)haven Bay was actually
part of or adjoined the Chesapeake in those times; it was not a small
'inland' bay as now.  So, we now know where and what Pleasure House was and
have a sketch of what happened regarding the local militia's surprise by the
British.  From your input it seems this surprise occurred during 1812, when
the guardhouse was burned and the tavern damaged -- but that the Pleasure
House building was still being inhabited by 13 militia men when the letter
of August 22, 1813 was written.

Could the date of this British surprise attack possibly have been late 1813
rather than 1812, I wonder, to coincide with the info originally posted by
John Weiss -- or were there possibly two surprise attacks?  Either way it
seems we have as yet provided no help to John's original request for
amplification of his information that two deserted slaves led the British
party to surprise the local militia at Pleasure House during the summer or
fall of 1813.  Is there a time limit for topics at this list?

A supplementary note: I find the web site for John Weiss's writings at the
following link, his previously posted one will not work for me:
http://freespace.virgin.net/john.weiss/trinidad/Trinidad.html

Here's wishing a wonderful July 4th celebration to all who ascribe.
Neil McDonald