Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:03:43 -0400
        A related question comes to mind:  To what extent did the American
Revolution "liberate" the American colonies  from Britain's increasing
anti-slavery  measures and perhaps contribute to the establishment of more
stringent slavery regulations in the American South, of which restrictions
on education are just one?  In his recent book, "The Cousins' Wars", Kevin
Phillips seems to suggest that was the case.
        :-)     Bob Shriner