From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 13:06:39 -0400
Kevin -- I'm not sure who floated the idea -- but my notes indicate it was the buzz floating around Philadelphia in the summer of 1787.   According to my notes, the candidate was either a Prussian prince (and I seem to think I remember that an invitation was actually sent -- under whose authority I know not - but declined), or Prince Frederick, the Duke of York -- the second son of George III.  [Wikipedia indicates that the Duke of York story was in the newspapers in 1787, but gives no details].
Perhaps all of it was just loose talk to undermine the Constitutional Convention.    Or maybe some conservatives were arguing that a monarchy would stabilize the situation of the 1780s.   Personally, I could well imagine Hamilton as a monarchist (and not simply a monocrat).

David

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College
Chesapeake Campus
1428 Cedar Road
Chesapeake, Virginia 23322
757-822-5136
>>> <[log in to unmask]> 10/12/08 4:40 PM >>>
David--

Do you recall who floated that idea--and where and when and so on?

It would not surprise me overly if some conservative Americans broached the notion--but I am curious to the particular context.

Thanks!

Kevin