Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:45:51 EST
During the Civil War, all of my ancestors, with the exception of my East TN
(Union) branch were in the Ozarks.  The Union and Confederacy both recruited
in Missouri and Arkansas.  Today we joke -- What did they do?  The Union
recruiters with cardtables on one side of the courthouse steps and the
Confederates on the other?

Needless to say, SW Missouri and Benton Co. AR were very difficult places to
be with both sides competing and dividing families.   Supposedly when my
great grandmother Sarah E.T. Gay, from DeKalb Co. TN originally in the 1850s,
married my great grandfather Hugh Lawson White Hill from Warren Co. TN, her
father refused to acknowledge the marriage or his daughter anymore, turned
her picture around ont he wall, etc.   These two families were from
neighboring counties in Tennessee, though it doesn't seem as though the war
split communities with quite the violence in Tennessee that it did in
Missouri.

Janet Hunter