From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:23:22 -0400
Perhaps the soap recipes in my book called "Colonial Virginia's Cooking
Dynasty" will prove helpful.  Page 148 under the recipe for yeast cake
is a reference to a toilet soap in the manuscript by an unknown author.
In Jane (Bolling) Randolph's manuscript, page 374 has directions on how
to make "lie of Pot Ashes" in connection with soap-making while page 376
has recipes for hard soap, to clear soap, and liquid soap. The hard soap
included ashes and lime while the liquid soap had brandy and spices
among the ingredients.