From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:39:37 -0500
Read what I wrote. I was very clear that I was not talking about
gifts and bequests but "money you give to a university, be it public
or  private, in the form of fees or tax subsidies".  Of course you
can stipulate how a gift or bequest is to be used. Most universities
do not allow students to withhold fees for religious, political
reasons, or reasons of conscience. The same is true about public
support of universities. I as an individual cannot withhold taxes
because I do not agree with the purpose to which the money will
applied. The government frowns on tax evasion.

Taken to its logical extreme a religious organization that accepts
anything from the government cannot restrict its membership or
employees. Thus it would be entirely reasonable to require a Roman
Catholic congregation to accept a Tibetan Lama as priest or require a
Mosque to accept Friday prayers led by a female Episcopal cleric.
After all they are recognized religious figures... The same kind of
reasoning has led to some jurisdictions demanding church run adoption
agencies that they must ignore their religious beliefs in placing
children.

James Brothers, RPA