Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:08:31 EST
This argument is unfortunately based on emotion rather than solid fact.  It
disappoints me (an average citizen, not a professional historian, with an
intense interest in history, and a hefty library to account for it!) that
there are so many academics willing to argue from emotion, and perhaps,
preconceived prejudices.  No one here is denying the fact of slavery.  That
is indeed a fact of history.  To me, the Jefferson-Hemings issue is a
difficult one.  Truth is truth, but sometimes this is elusive.  Piecing
together evidence is part of my job on occasion (forensics do occur in
veterinary pathology).  The pieces of evidence that are available to us on
this issue under discussion remain somewhat unclear.  Why can't people agree
on that point?  It is clear that this is an emotionally charged issue and
some individuals have a button that has been pushed.

Enough said.  I return to the sidelines to watch.

Fairfield T. Bain, DVM