From:
"Donald W. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:27:33 -0500

> Finally, the Constitution IS a living document.  The example I gave
> in a previous message--the expansion of the franchise from white
> property-owners to a more inclusive body--is the ultimate example.

Justice Scalia would disagree, and has. He was quoted a few months
back--in a speech, not in a legal brief (and no, I don't have the
particulars, but it made the news)--as saying that the Constitution
is a legal document, just like the deed to your house. How would you
like the deed to your house to be a "living document" subject to re-
interpretation every few generations? Wonder what would happen to
legal chain of title? His example, not mine.