From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:45:35 -0700
We don't have judgements on this forum, we have opinions. Only God can
judge. There is a lot of information pro and con flowing. Somewhere
in-between lies the truth.

Anita

>From: qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Madison's slaves (and black descendants?)
>Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 09:14:53 -0700
>
>Read Henry Wiencek's,  "An Imperfect God, George Washington, His Slaves,
>and the Creation of America " for a scholarly and sensitive view of a good
>man who owned slaves.
>
>It seems all generations think they know enough to judge not just the
>social norms,  but the souls of their predecessors.  While I don't suggest
>we  pretend  slave-owning was ever moral, I think  taking a person out of
>the context of their time and culture and judging them in our is pointless.
>
>Joanne
>
>PS Henry's book is much more than my clumsy "review" above. It's been
>described as the best of the best re. George Washington, and --bonus-- it's
>a great read.
>

>Paul Heinegg <[log in to unmask]> wrote: How could Madison have been a
>"good slaveowner."
>He owned other human beings as his own property. That not only degraded
>those human beings to the level of farm animals, it shows that he had no
>morals, no character. That was uncivilized, barbaric behaviour.
>Paul

>Don't get soaked.  Take a quick peak at the forecast
>  with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

Don’t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/