From:
Joan Horsley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joan Horsley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2017 22:59:22 +0000
 Subject: Benjamin Davis and Family & Research Documents Now Online

Benjamin Davis and Family

I have been trying to publish on the web Joan Horsley's reports that were unfinished at the time of her death.  The two of the Davis reports which Joan Horsley was working on before her death in 2014 are now available on her website http://www.joanhorsley.org More Davis reports will be published in the near future.  Be sure to check the website periodically.

BENJAMIN DAVIS and FAMILY of EARLY VIRGINIA c1690 – 1763
    Master Carpenter, Bridge Builder, A First Builder of Culpeper Town
    Culpeper and Spotsylvania Counties, Virginia

THOMAS TERRY and SARAH DAVIS FAMILY
    Culpeper County and Madison County, Virginia
    One Hundred Years in Wolftown: 1775-1875
    Daughter of Benjamin Davis

The following report concerning Mary Davis was published before Joan's death:

DANIEL JARRELL and his wife MARY DAVIS
    Daughter of Benjamin Davis
    See The JARRELL FAMILY of EARLY VIRGINIA

The  Benjamin Davis and Sarah Davis-Terry Thomas reports were begun by Joan Horsley and completed using Joan’s research notes by Pam Lasher. Questions or comments concerning all the Davis reports should be directed to Pam at this email address [log in to unmask]
Joan did not publish these two new reports during her lifetime because there were problems that she had not solved.  Most of the problems that Joan was addressing at that time still have not been solved.  As researchers, it is up to you to build on her work.  Hopefully these incomplete reports will provide clues to assist you in your journey.    I appreciate Pam's extraordinary efforts to prepare these reports in a manner suitable for publication.

In the Forward to the Benjamin Davis report, Pam Lasher states:  "Wishing to maintain the integrity of Joan’s research, as well as her own words, I tread lightly in adding to or changing anything Joan wrote. … And so, in her own words, here are her thoughts found as the Conclusion of her report on Daniel and Mary Davis Jarrell. It is true for this report as well. "

Again, please use these interpretations I present with caution, since this is only a preliminary assessment made by only one researcher, and all original records have not yet been checked or probably even found. While I have ardently played devil’s advocate with my own interpretations at each step, it takes the interaction and feedback of a community of researchers with their own interpretations, family knowledge, questions and answers, along with the discovery of more records and further in-depth investigation of those records already found, to “grow backwards” any family tree.

Hopefully even these records to date have given us a new view of this Jarrell family, enlarged their lives for us by connecting them in communities and among people whose associations continued over time, and widened the window into their lives, times, and geographic surrounds. As refinements, corrections and additions are made to these interpretations and as new records are found, we will continue to roaden and deepen the story of Daniel and Mary Davis Jarrell, their family, relatives, friends and neighbors, which is our story as well.

I am sending this notification about the new reports to everyone in Joan's contact lists.  Please forward this notification to anyone you think might be interested or send me an email with their name and email address.  If you know of a message board I should contact or a library where I should send a copy of the reports, please send me their address.

Research (All Families) - Deeds, Marriages, Wills, Court Documents, etc

Over 5,000 images were collected by Joan Horsley with help from numerous friends including genealogists. These include census information, deeds, wills, personal property tax records, land grants and tax records, pictures of people and areas where they lived, etc.  (Only documents in electronic form are included.)

The majority of the records are for the following families: Abbott, Brown, Davis, Doe, Fulkerson, Harvey, Hatcher, Horsley, Huff, Jarrell, Mathews, Robert, Robertson, Simms, Terry and Wansley. Links to the images are found on three web pages. Be sure to read the instructions at the top of each web page.

The following is a link to Research (All Families) - Deeds, Marriages, Wills, Court Documents, etc  http://www.joanhorsley.org/#research
These images were collected by Joan Horsley with help from numerous friends including genealogists. As many of you know, Joan passed away in February 2014. She worked 14 hours a day doing genealogy.  Any questions concerning the images, etc. should be directed to me (her husband) at any of the email addresses you have used before or  [log in to unmask]

Questions or comments concerning the Davis reports should be directed to Pam Lasher. You can contact her at [log in to unmask]

Kindest regards,

Barry Gilbert

If you want to be removed from this mailing list, just send me an email to [log in to unmask]  and put in the Subject line "Unsubscribe me".