From:
Jim Watkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2006 14:55:12 -0500
I throw out three for the sake of argument, in part because of Brent
Tarter's suggestion.  One and two would be Rev. Vernon Johns, who in
Brent's phrase I suppose, lost his Virginianity, and Rev. Leslie Francis
Griffin, who were instrumental in taking the Prince Edward County school
system, resulting in its melding into Brown v. Kansas.  Oliver Hill most
certainly was one of those who took the case to the Supreme Court, but
these men -- and Johns's niece, a principal in the suit, were "on the
ground" in Prince Edward, not a particularly nice position.

On the other hand, literally, one can hardly ignore Harry Byrd (take
your pick) who set the tone for Virginia politics for nearly 6 decades
of the 20th century.  Great, not really; important, you bet.

Jim Watkinson

James D. Watkinson, Ph. D.
Archives
Library of Virginia