From:
John Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:56:21 -0000
I have been researching the Corps of Colonial Marines for the last ten
years, and as it happens I'm currently engaged in tying up loose ends by
attempting to verify how many refugees there were in total.

Claims for compensation totalled 3,582 when the Definitive List of claims
was presented to Congress in 1826, but there were later claims and some for
whom claims were never received; after making a number of adjustments I
estimate the gross number of refugees at around 4,000, principally from the
United States but also from Florida (Spanish at the time). There were 1,721
from Virginia in the official list. Of the 407 from the Chesapeake who
enlisted in the Corps of Colonial Marines, I estimate that 67% were from
Virginia, but it's difficult to be precise as I have not yet been able to
match all the recruits with names in the claims list - and at least two were
free men anyway. Note that after the British squadron moved south to
Cumberland Island there were further refugees and recruits from Georgia, and
refugees from Lousiana left with the British after the battle of New
Orleans. In addition a detached company of the Corps was raised in Florida
and the backlands of Georgia totalling around 320, but when the British
finally decamped most of that company stayed around the fort at Prospect
Bluff (principally to annoy Andrew Jackson, I would say). The main body of
the Corps finished up in Trinidad, where the community the 'Merikens'
founded still celebrates its American origins. I am married to a descendant.

There'll be a book, hopefully, in perhaps a year's time, and meanwhile
smaller material is referenced, and there is an outline account of the
Corps, in the history links at http://homepage.virgin.net/john.weiss/

John Weiss
Independent Scholar, London